Thursday, May 19, 2005

TRIPS TO PORT AUX FRANCAIS Part One

Here is a map of Kerguelen:



From where I live, it's roughly 40 km (25 miles) by boat to Port Aux Francais. I live a few miles from the abandoned community of Port Jeanne d'Arc, at the northern end of Joan Of Arc Peninsula.

Here is a map of Port Aux Francais:



Port Aux Francais is the only town in the Archipelago. There aren't very many people there, but at least it's a town. I usually just go there to pick up supplies, but sometimes if I feel like getting away I go spend the night there in the "summer housing":



I have a small fishing boat I pilot across Morbihan Bay, and it's a big-enough boat to carry all the fuel I need for my cabin's generator and for my stove. Usually I also pick up lots of radio batteries, food for me, Thomas the Cat and Charley the Dog, and axle grease for Charley's wheelchair. Charley comes with me from time to time, but it hasn't been good for him as most of the "towners" tend to make fun of him. Thomas always stays at home, and when I return I always find him in the same position as when I left.

I will describe my travels to-and-from town from time to time. I have had numerous adventures with the weather and the locals. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counters