Monday, July 25, 2005

TIME TO MOVE ON?



While in the throes of a two-week trip, thanks to my smoking of the delightful Kerguelen Cabbage, I had some colorful insights regarding my current situation. I have started to think that it might be time for me to leave Kerguelen. I was looking at J.Marquis' blog "Are We There Yet?" and he has posted some pictures from a recent Alaska trip. The photos reminded me of how much I miss trees, flowers, songbirds and warmth. And other people! While I am a misanthrope, it helps to have real people to talk to once in a while. I'm not just thinking of myself, either. When I see Charley shivering in the cold when I take him outside so he can take a dump, I feel badly for him because he is obviously miserable. And his wheels don't do so well on the tundra-like ground.

But where would I go from here? I have already been in the South Pacific and in Central Asia. I'd like to find a place with mountains and beautiful scenery, like I have here, but where there would also be a few more people around, more vegetation, and a better climate. If you can think of any great ideas, please comment. I may go back on the Cabbage for a bit... It helped me get to this point of serious self-assessment (although the best part was getting really messed up and seeing some cool visions and shit!) Hey, Charley, pass me the pipe and the lighter!

5 Comments:

Blogger Damien said...

Hey may i suggest New Zealand, its almost like K land (well on the south island) and the north is almost sub tropical. Which reminds me I think we are overdue for a civil war, long live the fighters!!!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

Hey, glad you're back and seemingly back to normal.

There are plenty of wilderness areas and wide-open spaces in the western half of the U.S. where you could probably hang out. You might want to consider it!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Samwick said...

Here's my suggestion: The Ozark Mountains. It seems to fit you. Should you so desire you can drive 30 minutes in any direction and be completely isolated. Or, you could drive into one of our nifty college towns, nestled in the smallish, beautiful mountains and drink your ass off at a bar of delight. I'm here. I'll buy you a beer. An import even.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Damien said...

God not the Ozarks, not the Ozarks.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog.

When I was deciding where to bail to if Bush got too far out of hand, I decided that Switzerland would be the ideal place to move. According to the WHO, they have the second longest life expectancy behind Japan, they're are within driving distance of other cultures, beautiful scenery, very good anti-corruption ratings with Transparency International, anti-war, multilingual, decent wages, etc.etc..

New Zealand is indeed gorgeous, but if you are an American, I would not suggest moving there unless you move to a tourist area like Rotorua.

3:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counters