Sunday, May 22, 2005

LONELY DAY


The Gulf of Morbihan

Not much going on around here today. The weather was too bad to do any fishing, so here I am alone in the cabin with Charley and Thomas. We've been here all day long, kind of sitting around, keeping warm.

During times like these, I tend to do a lot of thinking about the past and about how I got here. Introspection, if you will. Oftentimes I consider human existence. Being here by myself, without the company of others, I feel like I am experiencing my life completely on my own terms. While that is what I prefer most of the time, it's nice to have other people around once in a while. The problem is that this place is SO damned isolated it becomes a chore to go to where other people are, and heaven knows they don't really have a reason to come out here and see me. So... (imagine drum roll here)

I am pleased to introduce you to my imaginary friend Jay. Because he is imaginary, I am unable to include a photo of him, but I can tell you about him. From what I can see of Jay, he is about 6'2", about 300 pounds, has long, curly black hair with a beard and mustache, a large gut, and usually wears a yellow raincoat and hat and black rubber boots. He tells me a fisherman. He also tells me Thomas is dead, and that's why Thomas smells so bad. Jay likes to laugh about my "pet cat head", but I don't listen to everything he says. What I like best about Jay is that he never argues with me, he comes to my house when I invite him, he never refuses a drink, and I always beat him at cards. Sometimes he brings his girlfriend Annie, too.

Anyway, more on Jay later. I have to go take Charley outside again. I think he is losing weight from all the vomiting.

3 Comments:

Blogger Samwick said...

Why are you there? Did something drive you there? Something internal? Have you addressed these questions in earlier posts? I've read them, but I have the attention span of a flea. Where are my pants?

I love isolation in a very abstract way. I love it, but I've never really, actually been hidden away in a desolate place for any great length of time. So maybe I'm just romanticizing it. I've worked a night shift for seven years specifically to avoid people, but that's not really the same thing as living in a place such as the one you are in. Maybe I'm full of crap. Who knows?

Thanks for the fish info, that's really amazing. I thought krill were microscopic, I must be thinking of plankton or something, so that is interesting to know. But above all else...for gods sake:

EAT MORE BIRD

hope you are well today, Donald, take care...

10:20 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

Thanks, Matt!

I suppose I'm here due to a feeling of disassociation from the rest of the human race. Not very uplifting, I know, but hey. You aren't full of crap, I think I know where you are coming from. I would suppose I'm a bit farther into this kind of thing than the average person, though.

Hope you're well too, and thanks for stopping by!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Busty Wilde said...

Do you ever worry about going insane? I bet I would, even though I hate most people I come in contact with.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counters