Saturday, May 21, 2005

Matt was asking about what kind of fish are caught around these parts. This area doesn't have the greatest of fishing, as it was fished fairly heavily from the 60's through the 80's and some populations haven't fully recovered. Anyway, here are the primary species:

Krill – this is an abundant species.


Marbled Rockcod – this species is still somewhat endangered, but it is recovering.


Mackerel Icefish – some good years and some bad with this species.


Gray Rockcod – still at a fairly low level here.


Patagonian Toothfish – endangered due to illegal fishing.


Sometimes, these are the best. I manage to get a lot of them, and if they haven't been in the water too long, they can be pretty tasty!

2 Comments:

Blogger Damien said...

I have arrived, and I am impressed, wow man you live in a really really great place - a tad isolated but I'd take it over New York or London anyday.

Actually I like it so much I'll throw it on to my sidebar.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Donald said...

Thanks, Damien! Those of us who live on islands south of the equator should stick together!

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counters