Tuesday, May 31, 2005

ALBATROSS a’la DONALD

This recipe is easiest to prepare if one has been drinking prior to the preparation. I find that while a white wine goes well with the albatross meat, Southern Comfort aids in my preparing of the meal. Bon appetit!

FreeFileHosting.Net

Ingredients:
One albatross, preferably fresh
½ pound Kerguelen cabbage
1 tsp sea salt
flour
water

Defeather and clean albatross. Place head, legs and entrails aside. Add salt to water, and boil albatross for approximately one hour in a large cooking pot, or until the meat begins to separate from the bone.

Rinse cabbage. Place leaves in pot with albatross. Boil for twenty minutes.

While boiling cabbage, fry the albatross’ head, legs and entrails in a greased 12-inch skillet on medium to high heat for twenty minutes, stirring frequently. Give the cooked parts to your dog and/or cat, then use flour and water to make gravy in the skillet.

Remove albatross from pot, let stand for 10 minutes. Save the water, it makes good stock for use in soup or stew. Pour gravy on albatross, and dig in. The cabbage leaves will be good with salt and butter.

Don't watch your pet eat the spare parts, and your meal will taste lots better.

6 Comments:

Blogger Busty Wilde said...

Wow...I can't say I ever plan to try this recipe out, but it sounds like you like to cook. :) I'm way too much of a pussy to even think about heads or entrails. Whenever we (I mean, my parents) cook a turkey for Thanksgiving, they always give the insides to the dogs. They love it! I'll never understand; I can hardly deal with eating the turkey breast without feeling bad for the turkey. Hah.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Busty Wilde said...

Just to clarify, I definitely don't live with my parents, and I haven't for years and years now; I just still go home every year for the major holidays.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Samwick said...

I am going to try this recipe tomorrow. Although I may have a little difficulty locating a albatross. Will 3 sparrows work as a substitute? Or 2 hawks?

10:46 AM  
Blogger Donald said...

Matt, I think you are on the right track. If you can get them, rather than sparrows or hawks, sparrow hawks might actually be better. Purple cabbage would probably work in place of Kerguelen cabbage. From my experience, bird meat is also good with bok choi if you can get it.

Busty, don't worry about being squeamish. It's a natural thing to revere life. I do have to admit I also revere dead things when they are edible dead things. I know Charley must be in the same space, because he likes to crunch on the fried beaks.

My parents were both institutionalized a few years ago, so I haven't seen or heard much of them. Too much of a bummer. I'll talk more about that in some future post.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Snave said...

Man, that is a pretty disgusting recipe. Well, the recipe itself isn't so bad, but the part about Charley crunching on fried albatross beaks... that's wonderful!

I'm not sure I would want to try the recipe, but there are some gulls that frequent the local sewage lagoon...

7:05 AM  
Blogger Damien said...

hmmm sound mouth watering, kinda the same as eating sea road kill though?

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counters